Driver who killed 'gentleman' Glasgow dad as he crossed road dodges jail

Shawlands crash victim George Jarvis
Shawlands crash victim George Jarvis -Credit:Police Scotland

A driver who killed an elderly dad as he crossed a road has avoided jail. Muhammad Ali, 32, struck George Jarvis, 69, on the A77 in Glasgow's Shawlands on March 4, 2022.

Ali turned a right corner at a junction and drove on when he hit Mr Jarvis as he crossed the middle of the road. The driver had straddled the road lines immediately before he collided with the self-employed mechanic.

Medics treated Mr Jarvis - who suffered a serious head injury - at the scene but he died three days later at hospital. A collision investigation carried out that there was "no reason" for Ali not have seen Mr Jarvis.

Tributes were paid to Mr Jarvis - who also owned a garage in the city's Pollokshaws - after his death on social media.

One said: "RIP George you were a gentleman through and through and loved our friendship , fly high big guy. big hugs from me and my mum x."

Another pal wrote: "Just got terrible news of my good friend George Jarvis passing away after being hit by a car in Glasgow.

"You just never know the minute, live life to the fullest."

Restaurant manager Ali pled guilty at Glasgow Sheriff Court to causing Mr Jarvis' death by careless driving.

Sheriff Iain Fleming ordered Ali to do 150 hours of unpaid work and disqualified him from driving for 12 months. Ali, of Uddingston, South Lanarkshire, was a first offender who had been driving since November 2016.

The court heard Mr Jarvis was on his usual route home around 11.20pm with his hood up when he walked across the road. Ali meantime momentarily straddled the lines separating the road.

Prosecutor Harry Findlay said: "Witnesses heard the sound of a collision and heavy braking.

"They saw that Mr Jarvis had been struck by the driver's side of the Ford and was momentarily in mid-air.

"The car stopped before entering the north bound lane fully and stopped at the side of it.

"The driver got out of the car and approached Mr Jarvis shortly thereafter."

It was stated that Mr Jarvis was one second short of reaching the centre of the opposing lanes. A 999 call was made and medics found Mr Jarvis unresponsive with a serious head injury which was "life threatening."

He underwent surgery at hospital but unfortunately succumbed to his injuries at 3.50am. A post-mortem was carried out which revealed that Mr Jarvis stated that he had bruises and wounds to both legs.

He also sustained rib fractures, a dislocated collarbone, a fractured vertebra, tibia and fibula.

Mr Findlay added: "The head injury is considered to have been the cause of death."

Ali was arrested meantime where he was tested for drugs and alcohol with a negative result. He made no comment when quizzed by officers.

A collision investigation was carried out which said: "For unknown reasons, Ali did not observe the deceased on the road.

"The front offside bumper struck Mr Jarvis, just east of the centre lines on the middle of the road, creating a mark on the bonnet and a scratch on the lamp.

"The tyre made contact with Mr Jarvis, most likely his legs, leaving a mark on the tyre.

"It is considered that the cause of this collision was the driver of the Ford failing to observe or react to Mr Jarvis walking on the lane who was struck by the vehicle.

"There was no reason for the driver involved not to see Mr Jarvis on the road and vice-versa."

Murray Macara KC, defending, said: "Because of Mr Ali's driving, a great tragedy has befallen the Jarvis family and I recognise that and Mr Ali recognises that in the report.

"My client has expressed his remorse in causing the death of Mr Jarvis."

Don't miss the latest news from around Scotland and beyond - Sign up to our daily newsletter here.