DVLA warns UK driving licence holders who are 'planning to drive abroad'

Drivers have been issued an urgent travel warning by DVLA amid recent changes to driving permit rules. New rules were launched in April to change who supplied international driving permits (IDPs) to people heading abroad, moving from Post Office branches to PayPoint.

IDPs are now exclusively be available from PayPoint locations, rather than people needing to visit their local Post Office branch. In a new tweet, on Twitter, now X, the DVLA said: "If you’re planning to drive abroad, you might need an international driving permit (IDP).

"IDPs are now exclusively available from participating PayPoint stores across the UK." An IDP is not usually required for the majority of popular holiday destinations abroad. However, there are over 140 countries, including Turkey, Mexico, Canada and Australia, where an IDP is recommended or required if you’re planning to drive.

READ MORE DWP 'bootcamps' for Universal Credit 'desperate' and 'won't work'

You may need an international driving permit (IDP) to drive in some countries. The permit you may need depends on which country you’re visiting and how long you’re staying. You need to have a valid Great Britain (GB) or Northern Ireland driving licence to get an IDP.

You do not need an IDP to drive in the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein if you have a photocard driving licence issued in the UK. You might need an IDP to drive in some EU countries and Norway if you have either a paper driving licence or a licence issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man

There are 3 types of IDP: 1926, 1949 and 1968. The IDP you need depends on what country you’re visiting. If you’re travelling through more than one country, you might need more than one type of IDP. If the country you’re visiting is not included in the table, check with the embassy of the country you’re travelling to.