DWP publishes list of people who won't be made to claim Universal Credit

The Department for Work and Pensions has shared a full list of people who won't be moved to Universal Credit benefit. The DWP and government benefits department is currently moving people claiming older "legacy" benefits to Universal Credit.

The process is called managed migration and this year it was accelerated meaning all claimants will be moved across by 2025. However, some claimants will not be moved over and instead, they will either continue to get legacy benefits, or they will move to Pension Credit.

On its new Universal Credit move website, the DWP explained that people will not be moved to Universal Credit if they only receive Housing Benefit and they, or their partner are of state pension age (66 years old or over), live in temporary accommodation provided by a council because you were homeless or live in supported accommodation including refuges, hostels, extra care housing and some sheltered housing.

READ MORE UK tourists on holiday in Majorca in July and August slapped with 'water cut'

Instead, these groups will continue to receive support with housing costs through Housing Benefit. The DWP also noted that if you only receive new style benefits, either New Style Employment and Support Allowance (ESA or New Style Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), then you will not be asked to move to Universal Credit. Instead, you’ll continue to receive the benefits you’re already getting.

Housing Benefit can help you pay your rent if you’re unemployed, on a low income or claiming benefits. It’s being replaced by Universal Credit. You can only make a new claim for Housing Benefit if either of the following apply: you have reached State Pension age or you’re in supported, sheltered or temporary housing.

You may get help with all or part of your rent. There’s no set amount of Housing Benefit and what you get will depend on whether you rent privately or from a council, the DWP states.