DWP shares people who won't be moved to Universal Credit - full list

LONDON,ENGLAND - MARCH 7: This photo illustration shows a UK Universal Credit information sheet on March 7,2023 in London, England. (Photo by Peter Dazeley/Getty Images)
-Credit: (Image: Peter Dazeley/Getty Images)

The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) has released details of individuals who will not be transferred to Universal Credit as part of the ongoing shift from older "legacy" benefits.

The DWP is in the midst of a process known as managed migration, which has been expedited this year with the aim of moving all claimants onto Universal Credit by 2025. However, there are exceptions to this transition. Some recipients will either remain on their current legacy benefits or switch to Pension Credit instead.

The DWP's newly launched Universal Credit transition website clarifies that those who only receive Housing Benefit and they, or their partner:

  • Are of state pension age (66 years old or over)

  • Live in temporary accommodation provided by a council because you were homeless

  • Live in supported accommodation including refuges, hostels, extra care housing and some sheltered housing

These groups will keep getting help with their housing costs through Housing Benefit. Additionally, the DWP pointed out that if you're only receiving 'new style' benefits like New Style Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) or New Style Jobseeker's Allowance (JSA), you won't be prompted to switch to Universal Credit. instead, you'll stay on your current benefits, reports the Mirror.

For those at state pension age currently receiving Tax Credits, the DWP may ask you to apply for either Universal Credit or Pension Credit, depending on your situation. This also applies to mixed-age couples where one partner is above the state pension age.

The DWP will contact you when it's time to make the change, informing you of the benefit you should apply for and the deadline to do so.

According to the official website, if you're asked to claim Pension Credit or are already claiming it, you'll receive a Tax Credit Closure Notice. If you're prompted to claim Universal Credit, you have the option to claim Pension Credit instead, provided you meet the eligibility criteria.

However, be aware that by doing this, you won't receive any transitional protections and you can't switch back to Universal Credit later. The DWP has warned that when you transition to Universal Credit, you may receive a letter from HMRC notifying you of overpaid tax credits.

Under the existing system, once your migration notice arrives, you have a three-month window to submit a claim for Universal Credit. Failure to do so could result in loss of benefit entitlement.

As part of the DWP's ongoing plan from July, those claiming Employment Support Allowance with Child Tax Credits will start receiving their migration notices, followed by Jobseekers Allowance (JSA) claimants in September. Households claiming Tax Credits alongside Housing Benefits began receiving their notices in April, meaning they have until July to submit their claim.