Experts share warning sign on fingers which could reveal a common skin condition

If you get small, itchy blisters at this time of year, you could have this common skin problem (stock image)
If you get small, itchy blisters at this time of year, you could have this common skin problem (stock image) -Credit:Birmingham Post and Mail

An itchy rash on your hands or feet can be painful, especially as the weather starts to warm up. When irritation turns to clusters of fluid-filled blisters which appear inflamed, many can panic that they have an infection - when in reality, a skin specialist has assured people that there's no need to worry.

Dr Shayan is a US-based cosmetic dermatologist who is known for his insightful videos on social media where he shares his vast medical knowledge. And a recent video in which he demystifies dyshidrotic eczema has racked up more than 217,000 likes.

The condition tends to manifest itself as tiny blisters on the edge of a person's fingers, toes, palms and soles - and while its cause is unclear, it appears to be liked to stress, moist hands and feet or allergies, hence why it's prevalent at this time of year.

The Mirror reports that in his video, the doctor explains: "This is not a skin infection. These are little bubbles. On the sides of the hands are the same process. People can also get it on the sides of their feet. During this season, scores of individuals will notice these tiny, itching bubbles cropping up on the sides of their fingers, hands or feet and become concerned it's a skin infection.

"However, this condition is actually a type of eczema known as dyshidrotic eczema."

Thankfully, treatment for the condition is quite straightforward, with Dr Shayan, adding: "Slathering the hands at night with a thick, occlusive ointment like these can be really helpful. It works even better if you lock in that moisture with white cotton gloves like these, or if you're doing it on your feet with white cotton socks.

"Avoiding products that you might have a skin allergy to can also prevent some of these flares."

However, if it doesn't clear up, you should speak to a GP who can prescribe steroid cream.