Father of man who died in Michael Barrymore’s pool dies without seeing justice

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·2-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

Terry Lubbock, the father of Stuart Lubbock – the 31-year-old who died in entertainer Michael Barrymore’s pool – has passed away, his friend has said.

Mr Lubbuck, 76, said earlier this year he had been diagnosed with terminal cancer.

The retired toolmaker who lived in Harlow, Essex, had mounted a 20-year campaign for justice for his son.

Stuart Lubbock died at Mr Barrymore’s home in Roydon, Essex, in March 2001. No one has ever been charged in connection with the death.

His friend, and publicist, Harry Cichy said he had died on Wednesday and paid tribute.

“You don’t come across many people like Terry Lubbock,” said Mr Cichy. “His tenacity and determination were incredible.

“He looked like a mild-mannered man, but he had the heart of a lion.”

Mr Cichy added: "I knew him for 16 years. He thought about Stuart every waking hour, seven days a week.

“He’s died sad, because he’s died knowing people never knew the truth about what happened. But no one could have fought harder for their son.”

No one has ever been charged in relation to Stuart Lubbock’s death.

Essex Police arrested a man in March, on suspicion of the indecent assault and murder of Stuart Lubbock, and released him without charge in August.

Mr Lubbock had thanked “new witnesses that have come forward”.

A post-mortem examination showed that Stuart Lubbock had suffered severe internal injuries which suggested he had been sexually assaulted.

Alcohol, ecstasy, and cocaine were found in his bloodstream and a coroner recorded an open verdict.

Mr Lubbock, who was divorced and had another son, Kevin, was fighting for a fresh inquest.

“A new inquest was what really mattered to him,” said Mr Cichy.

“He had lost faith in the police. Sadly, he’s died not knowing whether there will be another inquest.”

Mr Lubbock told journalists in February that he had terminal cancer and said doctors had told him that he had months to live.

In April, he made a “final appeal” for witnesses to come forward. “We would like old witnesses to come forward and tell the truth,” he had said.

“For me the clock is ticking, and time is running out. This will be my final appeal.”

Mr Barrymore, now 69, was arrested in 2007 but never charged with any offence.

He subsequently sued Essex Police, claiming his wrongful arrest had cost him about £2.5m in lost earnings, but Court of Appeal judges concluded he should receive nominal damages.

Press Association

Read More

Police will not launch criminal investigation into Martin Bashir’s Diana interview

Home Office facing legal action over ‘unfair’ asylum dispersal system

Letter tells schools they could face legal action over Covid jabs

Patel’s crime bill is ‘not proportionate’ says former Lord Chancellor

Shamima Begum: Timeline of events since she fled to join ISIS six years ago

Bereaved families call for inquiry 10 years after Gleision Colliery mining disaster

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting