Firefighters called to trapped muntjac deer on road

Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service engines were called into action
Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service engines were called into action -Credit:Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service on X

Coming to the aid of a trapped muntjac deer was among the 999 call-outs for firefighters. Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service officers have responded to a number of calls for help this weekend.

Last night (May 11), an engine from Leamington was called out to the animal rescue on Leamington Road in Chesford. A car had reportedly struck a muntjac deer, which then became stuck.

Crews helped to release the animal. Over in Bedworth, the on-call crew were called out to an alarm sounding at a care home on Poplar Avenue in the town. Fortunately, when they arrived they found it was a false alarm caused by burnt cooking.

READ MORE: Teen diagnosed with cancer twice as family say he 'just wants to live a normal life'

Also last night, an engine from Rugby were called property on Prentice Close in Long Lawford to a Carbon Monoxide alarm sounding. It was a false alarm caused by a low battery.

Over in Nuneaton, one engine was sent to a rubbish fire on Dale End. Crews extinguished the fire using a hose reel jet. It was one of several call-outs for the Newtown Road-based station's crew as they also responded to a van crashing into a three phase electricity pole on the Nuneaton Road..

It sent live electricity cables arching across the road and Green watch had to quickly put road closures in place while National Grid engineers made their way to the scene.

Get all the Nuneaton and Bedworth news sent direct to you