Firefighters confirm cause of blaze that tore through historic pub

Fire crews at the scene of the blaze earlier this morning (May 10)
Fire crews at the scene of the blaze earlier this morning (May 10) -Credit:Image courtesy of Nuneaton Fire Station on Facebook

The cause of a fire that has tore through a historic pub on the outskirts of Coventry has been revealed. In a statement issued earlier this morning (May 10), the owners of the Cottage Inn in Fillongley said that they have been left 'heartbroken' following the fire, which has tore through the first floor and roof of the 18th century building.

Warwickshire Fire and Rescue Service has confirmed that the fire first started in a tumble dryer on the first floor. This then spread with approximately half of the building, which is thought to be 300 years old, being left damaged.

A WFRS spokesperson said that the initial 999 call was made at just before 4.30am and everyone in side had evacuated when crews had arrived."

READ MORE: VW Golf TDI driver held at knifepoint in car robbery as CCTV issued

"The fire was originally located in a first floor tumble dryer but had spread with approximately 50 per cent of the building affected," the WFRS spokesperson said. "Everyone had safely evacuated the building.

"Crews were at the scene for around four hours tackling the fire. West Midlands Ambulance Service attended the scene to deal with one case of smoke inhalation."

The road around the pub remains closed with motorists being urged to 'approach with care.' You can keep up to date on the latest in our live blog here

Get daily headlines and breaking news emailed to you - it’s FREE