Fletcher Boyd reveals Aberdeen FC phone call he will never forget and his quick change of plans

Fletcher Boyd has opened up on the Aberdeen phone call he will remember forever.

The teenager was handed his top team debut at the end of last season and the rest is history as he climbed off the bench with seven minutes remaining against Hibs at Easter Road and fired home the Dons' fourth from close-range in the closing seconds before hitting his SECOND top team goal in the next outing just three days later in a thumping 5-1 win over Livingston in a crazy couple of days for the youngster.

New boss Jimmy Thelin is currently running the rule over the squad in Portugal with Boyd part of that group. It was Peter Leven who handed him his big moment in the first team and he has detailed all on when he found out he would be in the squad. He had just helped the Under-18s win the league against Rangers and was planning to go out before the shock call arrived and everything changed from the minute he hung up the phone.

Speaking at the Dons' training camp, Boyd, in his first pre-season trip away, told Red TV: "It was mental, because we won the [Under-18s] league and I scored two days after. And then I was like, whoa, I don't think I'll happen again and then it happened again. So it was good.

"There was a lot of nerves before the (Under-18s) game because we had just lost the cup final [to Rangers]. So it felt like we had to win the league and then we went 1-0 down but we managed to recover it [to win 2-1] so that was a relief. I scored. We were 1-0 down and I got the equaliser so it was a good feeling.

"He [Leven] told me on the Friday night after the Rangers game. I was going back to my digs to get changed to go to out with a few of the boys and I got a phone call - and then I stayed in. I was excited, but I was shocked. I didn't expect that at all.

"My dad missed the game at Hibs because he couldn't make it but he manged to be there at Pittodrie so it was good to score in front of him."