'Forgive me': The final words of Manchester suicide bomber Salman Abedi minutes before deadly attack

David Harding
Contributor
Manchester bomber Salman Abedi

Manchester suicide bomber Salman Adebi phoned his mother before his deadly attack in Manchester and asked her to “forgive me”, intelligence sources in Libya claim.

Media reports from the US claim that the 22-year-old terrorist phoned the family home in north Africa just hours before he attacked the Ariana Grande concert, killing 23 people including himself.

Details of his plea for forgiveness from his family have emerged after his mother Samia Tabbal, a nuclear scientist, was detained by police in Tripoli.

There have been claims that Tabbal had already told the authorities about his radicalisation.

MORE: RAF crew writes message for Manchester on Syria bomb

Adebi’s brother, Hashem and father, Ramadan, have also been arrested.

Officials in Libya have also claimed that the killer only left Libya for England four days before the bombing.

 

Armed police in Manchester following the attack (Rex)

Special Deterrent Force spokesman Ahmed bin Salem said Adebi was giving his “farewell” to his mother by phoning her before the attack, reported the Mirror.

During her arrest, Tabbal was accompanied by her Manchester-born daughter Jomana, 20, who said he acted out of “revenge” for US attacks on Muslim children.

“I think he saw children – Muslim children – dying everywhere, and wanted revenge,” she told the Wall Street Journal.

manchester attack victims

“He saw the explosives America drops on children in Syria, and he wanted revenge. Whether he got that is between him and God.”

Bin Salem said Libyan investigators believe that Adebi acted alone,bsed on what the family has told them.

Adebi’s brother claimed he had learned to make explosives on the internet and wanted to a “victory for ISIS”.

 British police though believe he was part of a terror cell.

People comfort each other amid the tributes to the victims (Rex)

British security minister Ben Wallace told the BBC on Friday that police are “confident of rolling up” those responsible for the attack.

Police in Manchester are “confident of rolling up” the suspected terrorist cell behind the attack, according to security minister Ben Wallace.

He said: “This is not a lone individual. We have to close down every lead we find. We have to follow it up and make sure we make the arrests and the searches that we need to do.”