Gang set fire to Abbey Road sushi restaurant during knife raid
A knife-wielding gang set fire to a Sushi restaurant in a terrifying raid in Abbey Road.
The attack saw a number of masked men storm Monak a pan-Asian sushi house which promises a “luxury dining experience” at 10.30pm on Friday.
They threatened staff with blades before using “gasoline” to torch the restaurant as terrified diners fled, according to My London.
A neighbour ran out after hearing the fire bombing.She told the Standard: “Qe heard the explosion and came out to see the fire and the fire engines and police everywhere. Surprisingly enough, I didn’t hear any smoke or fire alarms and also there were no sprinklers.
“I must admit to being worried about my flat, though when I went out to see what was going on, I was obviously more worried as to whether anyone was hurt.”
One witness told the Standard: “I saw something thrown and then the fire escalated. The fire brigade came followed by the helicopters. My mum was speaking to a boy who was chased by the guys who threw the thing inside.”
Another neighbour told the Standard: “There was a fire inside the restaurant. Then the fire engines turned up, they are still here.”
Footage posted to social media showed flames and smoke billowing out of the high-class eatery yards from the zebra crossing made famous by The Beatles.
It literally happened as I got off the bus, so glad no ones hurt pic.twitter.com/sjc4rxMBhW
— HelenFemi (@HelenFemix) April 28, 2023
The restaurant released a statement on Instagram promising to rebuild after the devastating fire.
They wrote: “We are devastated to announce that our restaurant has been affected by a fire. We are grateful for the efforts of the firefighters and the community for their support.
“We are working hard to get back on our feet and look forward to welcoming you back as soon as possible. In the meantime, thank you for continuing to support us and following our rebuilding journey.”
The statement added: “We wanted to take a moment to address our customers who were present during the fire.
“We are sorry that you had to witness this traumatic event, but we are grateful for your safety and cooperation during the evacuation.
“We are determined to rebuild our restaurant and continue to provide the food and experience that we know you love. Thank you for continuing to support us during this difficult time, and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.
“Thanks for our staff and security members who were present during the fire. Your professionalism and determination during this difficult situation were remarkable.
“We know that this has been a tough time for everyone, but your dedication to our business and community is truly appreciated. We look forward to working with you to rebuild our restaurant and continue to provide memorable experiences for our customers.
“Once again, thank you for your support and commitment.”
A Met spokesman confirmed there had been no arrests.
He added: “Police were called to reports that a number of males had entered a restaurant threatening staff with knives and starting a fire.
“The males made off prior to the arrival of police.
“The fire was extinguished and there were no reported injuries.
“An investigation is under way to identify and arrest those responsible, led by dedicated detectives from Central West CID.
“This will include analysis of all available CCTV among other lines of inquiry.”
Anyone with information is asked to call 101, ref 7931/18apr, or to remain anonymous contact Crimestoppers.