Gaza war protest in Birmingham shuts roads main roads and delays buses

The latest protest over the war in Gaza gridlocked the centre of Birmingham with a main road closed off and buses delayed. Protestors gathered outside Primark in High Street in the city centre at 3pm on Tuesday, June 4 for ‘The Awakening Emergency Protest for Rafah’.

Demonstrators were asked to ‘dress in all black to mourn the deaths’ linked to the ongoing war in the Gaza Strip, sparked by the Hamas attack in Israel on October 7, where hundreds of Israelis were killed.

Since then the IDF (Israel Defence Forces) have carried out sustained attacks within the Gaza strip, forcing residents to flee, with many now in the area in and around Rafah, on the Gaza, Egypt border.

READ MORE: Striking Palestine 'die-in' stunt takes place in Birmingham city centre

Protests have regularly taken place in Birmingham, the latest taking place on Tuesday. Protestors marched from Primark to the Mailbox and led to the A38 at Bristol Street being shut off in both directions.

Police closed off the road at Holloway Underpass at Smallbrook Queensway four southbound traffic and Belgrave Interchange further down for northbound traffic. It resulted in heavy congestion in the area

The A38 was reopened at around 5pm but protestors continued to Moor Street Queensway and Priory Queensway, near the Bullring Shopping Centre with Transport for West Midlands saying ‘some bus services in and out of the city may be delayed’.

Traffic information service, Inrix, said: “Queueing traffic due to earlier demonstration on A38 Southbound from Smallbrook Queensway (Holloway Circus) to Belgrave Middleway (Belgrave Interchange). Congestion to Dartmouth Circus. All restrictions were lifted prior to 17:30 after a full closure.”

A spokeswoman for West Midlands Police added: “We’re aware of a protest taking place in Birmingham city centre this afternoon (June 4). We are closely monitoring and have officers in the city to engage with the community.

“Queensway tunnel was closed for a short time but has since re-opened.”