Glastonbury Festival has been cancelled amid the coronavirus pandemic.
Organisers Michael and Emily Eavis said they were calling off the much-loved event for 2021 “with great regret”.
They said in a tweet that tickets for this year would “roll over to next year” and shared their hopes for offering “something really special” in 2022.
The post said: “With great regret, we must announce that this year’s Glastonbury Festival will not take place, and that this will be another enforced fallow year for us.
“Tickets for this year will roll over to next year.”
With great regret, we must announce that this year’s Glastonbury Festival will not take place, and that this will be another enforced fallow year for us. Tickets for this year will roll over to next year. Full statement below and on our website. Michael & Emily pic.twitter.com/SlNdwA2tHd
— Glastonbury Festival (@glastonbury) January 21, 2021
The pair added a full statement which said: “In spite of our efforts to move Heaven & Earth, it has become clear that we simply will not be able to make the Festival happen this year. We are so sorry to let you all down.
"As with last year, we would like to offer all those who secured a ticked in October 2019 the opportunity to roll their £50 deposit over to next year, and guarantee the chance to buy a ticket for Glastonbury 2022.
"We are very appreciative of the faith and trust placed in us by those of you with deposits, and we are very confident we can deliver something really special for us all in 2022!
"We thank you for your incredible continued support and let's look forward to better times ahead."
The famous music event was due to celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2020. It was postponed until 2021, but co-organiser Michael Eavis had previously said that was “wishful thinking”.
The festival usually runs across five days on the weekend closest to the Summer Solstice.
It was first held at Worthy Farm, Somerset, in 1970, and traditionally takes a break every five years, known as a ‘fallow year’, to allow the land to recover.
Music fans were quick to express their sadness after hearing this summer’s event was off.
“Sad news but definitely the right decision,” one person posted on Twitter. “Thank you from the bottom of my heart for letting us hold onto our tickets. It makes the pain a little easier.”
“Totally understandable but absolutely gutted... for all of us, and for the whole team that organise it,” said another.
“The longest I’ve gone without a Glastonbury Festival since 1993. I am missing it already.”
Watch: Mel B says Glastonbury 2021 is cancelled