Gogglebox star George Gilbey's cause of death explained at inquest

Gogglebox star George Gilbey died of a traumatic head injury, an inquest has heard. Gilbey, 40, fell 80ft to the floor through a skylight while working on a building site in Essex.

He suffered traumatic injuries to his head and body in the fall. The inquest heard he was not wearing a harness. A post-mortem examination found his injuries were "consistent with a fall from height".

Essex senior coroner Lincoln Brookes opened then suspended Monday’s inquest, pending the outcome of a criminal investigation.

Coroner’s officer Deborah Frost said Mr Gilbey had been “working on a roof when he fell through a plastic skylight, landing on the ground below”.

She said that paramedics and police attended but that he died at the scene, with his provisional cause of death recorded as “traumatic injury to head and torso consistent with fall from height”.

An investigation is ongoing and a full inquest will be held at a future date. A man arrested in connection with the death was released by police under investigation.

The man, who is in his 40s and from the Witham area of Essex, was arrested on suspicion of gross negligence manslaughter after Gilbey died following an accident at work in March. Essex Police said they were called to an incident in Shoebury in Southend-on-Sea, where a man had died after falling from a height.

It launched a joint investigation with the Health and Safety Executive and inquiries are ongoing. Gilbey, 40, was best known for appearing on the Channel 4 series – where participants watch and comment on TV shows from the previous week – alongside his mother Linda McGarry and stepfather Pete McGarry, who died aged 71 in 2021.

The reality star also appeared on the 14th series of Celebrity Big Brother in 2014, reaching the final. A Gogglebox spokesperson previously said: “George was part of the Gogglebox family for eight series alongside his mum Linda and stepdad Pete.

“Our thoughts and deepest condolences are with Linda and George’s family and friends at this very sad time. The family have asked for privacy.”

Coroner Mr Brookes said he had received a written request from Essex Police to suspend inquest proceedings pending the outcome of a criminal investigation, and he granted this request.

He said the matter would be reviewed in four months’ time.