Good Nottingham Samaritan who freed worker from under electric box 'thought he would die'

The fire service at the scene in Addington Road, Radford on Tuesday, April 30
The fire service at the scene in Addington Road, Radford on Tuesday, April 30 -Credit:Robert Trimble

A good Samaritan has described the moment he thought a worker would die after an electric box fell on him in Nottingham. A contractor working on behalf of National Grid became trapped under the box in Addington Road, Radford, at around 11am on Tuesday, April 30.

Emergency services were called to the scene before the man was taken to hospital with injuries not believed to be life threatening or life altering. The worker was freed thanks to the help of three colleagues and a member of the public, Amin Khalifa.

Mr Khalifa, an English student from Forest Fields, told Nottinghamshire Live he feared the man would have died had the four of them not intervened. "I heard shouting, 'help, help, help'," recalled the 31-year-old.

Get the latest news straight to your phone by joining us on WhatsApp

"I looked where people were working and there was a hole, the box was inside the hole." He said the man, who he estimates to be in his 40s, was "totally under the box".

"When I arrived there were two men who were there with him... you couldn't see him," he said. "I helped get him out. No-one else tried to come in, people were just watching and taking videos.

Amin Khalifa selfie
Amin Khalifa said he was one of four people to help free the worker -Credit:Amin Khalifa

"We tried to lift the box but it was really, really, really heavy, he was really crying down there. Another worker came who was able to help lift it. If it wasn't for him they wouldn't have managed to get him out, he would've died.

"He just kept crying and was touching his leg. It's still a bit scary for me, thinking about what happened. I was sure he would not get out."

National Grid said the incident had been reported to the Health and Safety Executive (HSE). “We regret to confirm that a contractor working on behalf of National Grid was injured on Tuesday 30th April and is now recovering in hospital," said a spokesperson.

"We have reported the incident to the HSE and are investigating the circumstances which led to the incident.” A HSE spokesperson said: “We have been made aware of this incident.”