Gogglebox star George Gilbey's mum reveals his last words to her before he fell to his death

The mother of Gogglebox star George Gilbey has revealed his last words to her were "I love you".

Gilbey died after falling through a plastic skylight while fixing a warehouse roof in Essex in March.

The 40-year-old appeared alongside his mum, Linda McGarry, and stepdad on the hit Channel 4 show.

The family first appeared on the second series of Gogglebox in 2013 but were dropped the following year when Gilbey signed up for the 14th series of Celebrity Big Brother in 2014, reaching the final.

Mrs McGarry said she spoke to him on the phone hours before his death.

She told The Sun: "He phoned me at 9.30 in the morning and said he was working - and asked me for his 'breakfast money'.

"I put £30 in his account so he could get food, and he seemed fine.

"He had a drink the night before, and liked a bottle of white wine or two, but was happy that he was working. He ended the phone call by saying, 'I love you' like he usually did. I treasure those words."

She added: "It was an honour for him to have been my son. We had a blast for 40 years."

Mrs McGarry said her son had struggled with the death of his dad, stepfather and her own Parkinson's diagnosis.

At the time of his death, he was working to save money to move closer to his seven-year-old daughter, Amelie, in southwest London.

"He wanted to be with Amelie, who he adored," she told The Sun.

"They were on the third day of a job that was going to last a month, and he was going to get money together from that.

"When they were together, George and Amelie were always laughing. She is going to miss him terribly, like we all will."

Read more from Sky News:
Social media influencer shot dead by motorbike gunman
TV doctor struck off for exchanging Botox for sex at his clinic

Gilbey suffered traumatic injuries to his head and torso and died at the scene in Shoeburyness.

An inquest was opened last week but suspended after a request from police pending a criminal investigation.

A man in his 40s from the Witham area of Essex was previously arrested on suspicion of gross negligence manslaughter

He was later released under investigation.