Firefighters have issued a grass fire warning after an area the size of a football pitch went up in flames in Bushy Park.
Fire crews from Twickenham rushed to the popular south west London park after a large swathe of grass caught alight just before 1pm on Wednesday.
They managed to bring the blaze under control by 1.30pm and stopped it spreading further.
The London Fire Brigade has now issued a warning over barbecues and cigarettes and the rapid spread of fire in grassy areas when the hot weather kicks in.
Green Watch Manager at Twickenham fire station, Guy Pedliham said: “Everything is very dry at the moment so the fire caught quickly and crews worked fast to prevent it spreading any further.
“Grass fires can cause a great deal of damage to open spaces and wildlife but the public can help us by making sure that cigarettes and barbecues are extinguished properly, and that glass bottles are disposed of carefully.
"It's also important that if you do notice a fire on open grassland that you don't attempt to put it out yourself as they can travel very quickly and change direction without warning.
“Call the fire brigade and let us know where the fire is so we can get our crews on the scene as soon as possible to stop it from spreading.”