Firefighters battle blaze at Guy Ritchie's London pub - for the second time in six months

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·2-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.

Watch: Guy Ritchie's London pub in flames for the second time in six months

A pub belonging to film director Guy Ritchie was engulfed in flames after a blaze broke out for the second time in six months.

Firefighters were called to the Lore of the Land pub in Fitzrovia, London, on Sunday morning (23 January) after flames engulfed a balcony at the rear.

Fire crews raced to the pub on Conway Street at around 11.20am to battle the blaze.

Firefighters were called to Guy Ritchie's pub Lore of the Land on Conway Street in Fitzrovia, London, on Saturday morning. (SWNS)
Firefighters were called to Guy Ritchie's pub Lore of the Land on Conway Street in Fitzrovia, London, on Saturday morning. (SWNS)

Their speedy response meant the blaze was extinguished within 40 minutes, but witnesses said the back of the pub appeared to have suffered serious damage.

Aerial footage and photos show the balcony engulfed in flames while firefighters battle them.

Read more: Hunt for mystery man who rings doorbell at night and then walks away

The images then show smoke billowing from the balcony after the fire was extinguished.

According to some witnesses, it appeared the blaze may have been started by a malfunctioning electrical device.

Firefighters battled the blaze, which is thought to have been started by a malfunctioning electrical device. (SWNS)
Firefighters battled the blaze, which is thought to have been started by a malfunctioning electrical device. (SWNS)

Despite the dramatic scenes, witnesses said the fire wasn't as serious as the last in June last year, which destroyed the entire roof of the pub.

In that blaze, ten fire engines and around 70 firefighters tackled a fire which was believed to have started in the kitchen.

London Fire and Rescue Service have confirmed they attended the latest blaze but said further details would be released later.

Smoke could be seen billowing from the balcony after the blaze was extinguished. (SWNS)
Smoke could be seen billowing from the balcony after the blaze was extinguished. (SWNS)

One local resident said: "I heard some pops and thought it was fireworks going on outside, but when I went out to have a look I saw the balcony on fire.

"My immediate thought was oh god it's happening again, although after a short while it became clear that this fire wasn't as bad as the last one.

"Firefighters arrived around 11:20am and, to my relief, had been on gone by 12:00pm.

"The fire looked like it was started by some sort of electrical device on the balcony, but luckily it seems to have been contained solely to that area.

"I hope that the damage to his pub isn't too severe."

Watch: Guy Ritchie's house has been targeted by burglars

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting