Watch: Harry describes 'terrifying' moment William screamed at him' in front of the Queen
Prince Harry has accused William of leaving him terrified after “screaming and shouting” at him in front of the Queen during crunch talks to determine his future in the Royal Family.
The final part of the Sussexes’ controversial Netflix documentary was released on Thursday and contains claims that the Palace briefed against Harry and Meghan to deflect attention from less favourable coverage of other royals.
One of the other key themes running through the last three episodes is the breakdown of the brothers' relationship in recent years.
A key account from the Duke of Sussex discussed tense showdown talks at Sandringham Palace on 13 January, 2020, in which senior members of the family met to discuss the fallout from the couple's decision to step back from the Royal Family.
In the documentary, Harry outlines the high-stakes meeting between himself, the Queen, Charles and William that would determine the Sussexes’ future role within the Royal Family.
Harry says that his and Meghan’s proposal was to be “half-in and half-out” of the family, in which the couple would have their own jobs but also “work in support of the Queen”.
But he said it became clear very quickly that that was not an option that was up for debate.
“It was terrifying to have my brother scream and shout at me and my father say things that simply weren’t true and my grandmother quietly sit there and sort of take it all in," Harry said.
“But you have to understand that from the family’s perspective, especially hers, there are ways of doing things and her ultimate mission and goal and responsibility is the institution.
“People around her are telling her ‘wait, these two doing XYZ is going to be seen as an attack on the institution’, then she’s going to go on the advice of the institution.”
Yahoo News UK has contacted Kensington Palace for a comment.
In the clip Harry goes on to describe an article that came out later the same day of the meeting saying that part of the reason the Sussexes were leaving was because William had “bullied us out”.
But the duke says: “Once I got in the car after the meeting, I was told about a joint statement that had been put out in my name and my brother’s name, squashing the story about him bullying us out of the family.”
He continued: “I couldn’t believe it. No one had asked me. No one had asked me permission to put my name to a statement like that.
"I rang M and I told her and she burst into floods of tears because within four hours they were happy to lie to protect my brother, and yet for three years they were never willing to tell the truth to protect us.”
He added: “So there was no other option at this point. I said ‘We need to get out of here’.”
Harry also told how a letter he wrote Charles about him and Meghan moving to Canada to work as royals was leaked to the press.
“It became clear that the institution had leaked the fact that we were moving back to Canada,” he said.
“And a key piece of that story that made me aware that the contents of the letter between me and my father had been leaked was that we were willing to relinquish our titles. That was a giveaway.
“I was like ‘Wow, our story, our lives, literally got taken from underneath us’.”
Other moments which give an insight into Harry's view of how their sibling relationship broke down include a reported exchange about briefing to the press.
Referring to the royal communications teams, Harry said: “William and I both saw what happened in our dad’s office and we made an agreement that we would never let that happen to our office.
“I would far rather get destroyed in the press than play along with this game or this business of trading, and to see my brother’s office copy the very same thing that we promised the two of us would never ever do that was heartbreaking."
And asked about returning to the UK for the Duke of Edinburgh's funeral, Harry said: “It was hard, especially spending time having chats with my brother and my father who just were very much focussed on the same misinterpretation of the whole situation.
“I’ve had to make peace with the fact that I’m probably never going to get genuine accountability or a genuine apology."
Yahoo News UK understands that neither Buckingham nor Kensington Palace will comment on the documentary.