Hundreds Evacuated as Deadly Flooding Hits Northern Italy
Hundreds of people were evacuated across the Emilia Romagna region of Italy on Wednesday, May 3, after two people died in extensive flooding, local authorities said.
Footage recorded in the town of Faenza shows water reaching half way up the ground floor of a house.
The Emilia Romagna region said on its website that river breaches following 48 hours of rainfall had caused severe flooding in Massa Lombarda and Faenza on Wednesday.
Two people had died, one an 80-year-old man, the region said.
The Italian fire service was carrying out evacuations from Faenza from early Wednesday morning, according to the service’s Twitter profile.
At least 250 people had been evacuated from Faenza on Wednesday, and a further 120 from Castel Bolognese and Conselice, according to the Emilia Romagna region website. Credit: Vigili del Fuoco via Storyful