Do you need ID to vote? Rules explained for local elections on May 2, 2024

Hertfordshire residents have just days before the register to vote deadline ahead of this year's local elections (File picture)
Elections take place on Thursday -Credit:Yui Mok/PA Wire

Local elections, alongside those for Police and Crime Commissioners and mayors in different parts of the UK, take place on Thursday, May 2. However, if you've not voted for some time, you may need reminding that you now need ID.

Until last year, it was fine to walk into a Polling Station, give your name and cast your vote. But it is now a requirement to show ID of some form.

So, before you head off to vote on Thursday, make sure you have some ID. The good news is a wide range qualifies, meaning that almost everyone should have something they can show.

According to, voters need to show photo ID when voting in person in some UK elections or referendums. These are:

  • UK parliamentary elections, including general elections and by-elections

  • recall of MP petitions in England, Scotland and Wales

  • local elections in England (including councils, mayors, the Greater London Authority and parishes)

  • Police and Crime Commissioner elections in England and Wales

  • neighbourhood planning referendums in England

  • local authority referendums in England (including Council Tax increase referendums)

You’ll need one of the following types of photo ID to vote:

  • a UK or Northern Ireland photocard driving licence (full or provisional)

  • a driving licence issued by an EU country, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, the Isle of Man or any of the Channel Islands

  • a UK passport

  • a passport issued by an EU country, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or a Commonwealth country

  • a PASS card (National Proof of Age Standards Scheme)

  • a Blue Badge

  • a biometric residence permit (BRP)

  • a Defence Identity Card (MOD form 90)

  • a national identity card issued by the EU, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein

  • a Northern Ireland Electoral Identity Card

  • a Voter Authority Certificate

  • an Anonymous Elector’s Document

You can also use one of the following travel passes as photo ID when you vote:

The photo on your ID must look like you. You can still use your ID even if it has expired.

If you’re voting as someone’s proxy

You’ll need to take your own ID when you go to vote on someone else’s behalf. You do not need to take theirs.

If you’ve changed your name

The name on your ID must match your name on the electoral register. If it does not, you’ll need to either:

  • register to vote again with your new details

  • take a document with you to vote that proves you’ve changed your name (for example, a marriage certificate)

Small differences do not matter. For example, if your ID says ‘Jim Smith’ instead of ‘James Smith’.

If you do not have accepted photo ID

If you do not have a type of photo ID that allows you to vote, you can apply for a Voter Authority Certificate. While it's too late to get one for this week's elections, make sure you apply in time for the General Election, which is expected later in 2024.