He’s the only pro dancer to have taken part in every single series of Strictly Come Dancing, but we’re not about to see the back of Anton du Beke any time soon - as he has vowed to “never” leave the show.
Du Beke joined the BBC celebrity dance contest for its first series in 2004 and has taken part in all 17 seasons of it to date, making the final this year for just the second time in its history.
But despite being touted as a possible new judge or host every time a spot opens up, he has told Lorraine that he plans to keep dancing forever.
Appearing on the ITV chat show this morning (December 16) he said: “Leaving the show - I saw that absolute nonsense, made up. Made up before I even left the building.
“I can’t leave, never! I’m still there.”
— BBC Strictly ✨ (@bbcstrictly) December 14, 2019
The dancer has previously been mentioned as a possibility for host before the late Sir Bruce Forsyth was replaced by Claudia Winkleman, and judge before Motsi Mabuse took Dame Darcey Bussell’s old seat.
He is known for often being paired with the weakest dancers in the competition, with past partners including Ann Widdecombe, Judy Murray, Nancy Dell’Olio and Susannah Constantine.
This year saw him reach the final with EastEnders star Emma Barton, something that he last managed in 2015 with Katie Derham.
Not only did du Beke manage to place as runner-up this year, he also achieved his first ever scores of 10 points during the contest.
— BBC Strictly ✨ (@bbcstrictly) November 16, 2019
He joked after getting his first 10: “First ever 10s. 17 series. You don’t understand. This is how Kevin Clifton feels, it’s lovely.”
Speaking to Lorraine Kelly, du Beke said he had no hard feelings about missing out on finally lifting the Glitterball Trophy.
He quipped: “To make the final is enough. If I had 10s and won, I would have been unbearable wouldn't I? I would have charged you to come on, wouldn’t I?”