Inquest into 'very kind' young Nottingham woman's death at mental health hospital

Leisa Towle (L) pictured with her daughter Sophie, who died aged 22 on May 27, both smiling and sitting down in selfie taken by Sophie
-Credit: (Image: Supplied)

The cause of death of a young Nottingham woman who died after collapsing in a mental health hospital remains unclear, an inquest opening has heard. Sophie Louise Towle, from Mapperley, died aged 22 after collapsing at Sherwood Oaks Hospital on Monday, May 27.

Sophie's family previously told Nottinghamshire Live that a post-mortem examination said that she had died of natural causes, however, these are yet to be ascertained. Assistant Coroner for Nottingham and Nottinghamshire, Michael Wall, opened an inquest into Sophie's death on Friday, June 28, at Nottingham Council House.

Mr Wall said: "I am today opening an inquest touching on the death of Sophie Louise Towle. She was born on November 15, 2001, and she died on May 27, 2024, aged 22.

"Sophie Louise Towle died at King's Mill Hospital in Sutton-in-Ashfield. She was identified by her mother to the attending police officer.

"A post-mortem examination has been carried out, however, a precise cause of death is yet to be ascertained. I certify that in accordance with my statutory duty I am now opening an inquest touching on the death of Sophie Louise Towle.

"This hearing now stands adjourned for completion of further inquiries and will resume for a final hearing on a date yet to be fixed. It just remains for me to express my sincere condolences to the family and friends of Miss Towle."

Sophie's mother, Leisa, described her daughter as "very kind and generous". Leisa said: "She looked after other people because she could, when she couldn't even look after herself.

"I've had lots of messages from people saying Sophie helped them in their darkest minutes. She's going to be missed by so many people - more than she realised."

Sophie was first admitted to Nottinghamshire Healthcare Trust's Highbury Hospital in September 2021. After stints at Highbury and Sherwood Oaks, she ended up at Tickhill Road Hospital in Doncaster, where her mother said her care had been "much better". She was moved back to Sherwood Oaks in late April.