Jay Slater's best friend Lucy Law breaks silence with emotional new post about missing teen

Jay Slater with close friend Lucy Law
-Credit: (Image: Instagram)

Jay Slater's best friend Lucy Law has broken her silence and posted a moving picture of the two of them together nearly three weeks after he disappeared in Tenerife.

The 19-year-old, from Oswaldtwistle, vanished after setting off to walk back to his accommodation on the holiday island on June 17. He had attended the NRG music festival with two friends before his disappearance, and his last known location was the Rural de Teno Park in the north of the Canary Island – which was about an 11-hour walk from his accommodation.

Lucy, who went to the festival with the apprentice bricklayer, said he called her at about 8.30am on the day he went missing and told her he was “lost in the mountains, he wasn’t aware of his surroundings, he desperately needed a drink and his phone was on 1%”. She has remained quiet on social media but has now issued a new picture of her with her friend.

READ MORE: Jay Slater detective debunks new theory after 'distressing' video emerges online

The post on Instagram includes a blue love heart and a crying face emoji, the Mirror reports. Jay had previously visited the NRG music festival with two friends before vanishing without a trace

Earlier reports indicated that he spent the night in an Airbnb and was last spotted by two men at the property. According to Lucy, Jay had told her that he planned to walk back from the Airbnb to his accommodation after missing a bus, which would take around 11 hours on foot.

She also added that his phone was on one percent battery. Lucy previously described the situation as "weird" and said: "There's something weird going on. It is suspicious. In two days you're telling me someone's not seen him. There's a restaurant 10 minutes away that he would have seen or walked past. It's suspicious and it's weird."

His pal earlier said: "Fair enough it didn't open for another two hours but if that were me I would have sat and waited at the restaurant till it opened. As soon as it opened I would have said, 'Please can you put my phone on charge' and then I would have rung someone, I would have rung a taxi."

Lucy hasn't commented publicly about the missing case in more than two weeks, but she previously shared an update after she had located the two people who saw Jay an hour before he vanished. She said: "We managed to find the house. I knocked on the door and there were two people there."

She went on to say that the pair had told her that Jay went to purchase cigarettes before returning to their apartment. However, once he got back he is said to have told them he wanted to go back to his accommodation. "They told me he'd spoken to the next door neighbours and they'd told him there was a bus every 10 minutes back down to Los Cristianos," she said.

"The bus stop was right next to the house. So obviously if he'd gone to get the bus he wouldn't have got lost because it [the stop] was visible from the front door."

Yesterday (July 4), the man who had rented the Airbnb, named Ayub Qassim, addressed the missing case and said Jay arrived to the holiday home alive and also left alive. Spanish police previously questioned Qassim and his unnamed friend and determined them to be "irrelevant" to the investigation.

He told The Mail he had let the 19-year-old stay because he "had nowhere else to go" and alleged that all his friends "had left him". Qassim said he knew the bricklayer through friends and said he was doing him a "favour" by letting him stay. His remarks come after the land search for the missing Brit had been called off.

Jay's mother Debbie Duncan recently released a statement and said: "Jay is a normal guy who is in his third year of an apprenticeship, and he is a very popular young man with a large circle of friends. We are a very close family and are absolutely devastated about his disappearance. Words cannot describe the pain and agony we are experiencing. He is our beautiful boy with his whole life ahead of him and we just want to find him. We do not have any information on his whereabouts.

"The Guardia Civil have worked tirelessly up in the mountains where Jay's last phone call was traced. They conducted a land search for 12 days which involved every resource they had available. Although the land search ended, the Spanish police still continue with their investigations into why Jay had travelled to the location so far away from his accommodation. We offer our sincere thanks to the Spanish authorities who continue to follow lines of inquiries."

Subscribe to our daily newsletter LANCS LIVE NEWS and get all the biggest stories from across Lancashire direct to your inbox