Jay Slater's dad issues 'tough' update as ground search comes to an end

No caption
-Credit: (Image: Stan Kujawa)

The chief of the Civil Guard's mountain rescue operation has announced today that the ground search for missing Jay Slater has concluded, following extensive helicopter searches over the vast ravines at the heart of the investigation.

Warren Slater, 58, and his son Zak, 24, were spotted today alongside emergency services and volunteers at the remote mountain location outside the village of Masca where Jay's mobile phone last signalled.

Two police helicopters have dedicated more than three hours to scouring the primary search areas that are the focus for emergency workers, rescuers, and volunteers. A renewed search effort was launched today, following a call to arms by the Civil Guard to intensify efforts to locate the missing 19 year old.

Read more: Jay Slater 'jumped by three mystery men' as gang beating emerges

The Civil Guard summoned all emergency personnel, including mountain rescue teams and firefighters, to assist with today's search (June 29). As the search enters its 13th day, Spanish police have called on any volunteers with mountain experience to step forward and contribute.

Only a handful of volunteers joined the efforts this morning, with approximately 30 members of official emergency service bodies venturing into hazardous conditions to search for the 19 year old from Lancashire. The searchers have been navigating through thick cacti and dense vegetation, reports the Manchester Evening News.

The Civil Guard expressed confidence during their first press conference regarding the search for Jay Slater, as emergency workers and volunteers prepared for today's efforts. Cipriano Martin, the chief of the mountain rescue team of the Guardia Civil, stated that the two British men who were with Jay Slater at a rural Airbnb rental the night before he disappeared are 'no relevance' to the police investigation.

No caption
-Credit:No credit

Get all the latest and breaking news in Yorkshire by signing up to our newsletter here.

In the afternoon, Mr Martin was hesitant to provide further details on the progress of the search, saying: "We're going to see if there is any more news in the course of the afternoon/evening."

Warren, speaking from the search site and clearly affected by the situation, expressed his dismay at the negative input from online commentators regarding the search for his youngest son. He shared: "It's a bit disappointing that there are no British apart from Paul [Arnott] but I suppose to them he's just a British lad who's come out here and got drunk," Warren lamented.

"I'm grateful to those who have come out here because you can see just how dangerous it is and what gets me is the trollers who are having a go at us for not searching. It's not the local park, these are big mountains, the terrain is dangerous, put yourself in our position. Would you go out in these conditions? ".

"It's tough, it's hard, we are leaving it to the professionals and I'm grateful for those who have turned out today and I want to thank them for what they are doing."

Warren further added: "We just still can't believe it; it's been so tough on us, and I want people to think about us as parents and what we are going through. All those trollers having a go at us, they don't know how we feel, why don't they come up here and have a look and see for themselves how dangerous it is."

"I've come up here now myself because I wanted to have a look about with Zak and to thank those who are up here and have given their time. I just didn't think this would go on for so long, I dropped his mum and brother off at the airport and thought they would be back in a few days. I just thought he's gone out had a drink and ended up at some girl's place as we all did when we were younger, he's our youngest I just want him home."