MP urges 'Dancing On Ice' to sack John Barrowman after 'not acceptable' behaviour claims

·Contributor
·2-min read
An MP has urged ITV to axe John Barrowman from the 'Dancing On Ice' judging panel. (Stuart C. Wilson/Getty)
An MP has urged ITV to axe John Barrowman from the 'Dancing On Ice' judging panel. (Stuart C. Wilson/Getty)

John Barrowman should be sacked from his role as a judge on ITV skating show Dancing On Ice, an MP has told The Sun on Sunday.

The 54-year-old star is currently at the heart of a row about his reported history of exposing himself on TV sets during filming.

Read more: Torchwood co-star defends Barrowman's behaviour

Allegations against Barrowman resurfaced in the wake of the fallout from multiple women accusing Barrowman's Doctor Who co-star Noel Clarke of sexual misconduct.

Barrowman has acknowledged "tomfoolery" in his past and said his "understanding and behaviour have changed" since he first apologised for these actions in 2008.

Now Alec Shelbrooke, Conservative MP for Elmet and Rothwell in West Yorkshire, has said ITV should take further action against Barrowman in the wake of the revelations.

Watch: Dancing On Ice winner Sonny Jay poses with trophy

"Inappropriate behaviour like this is not acceptable no matter what the circumstances," he said.

"ITV and the BBC have a responsibility with the standards they set. Dancing On Ice is a family show and ITV shouldn’t be willing to indulge this behaviour in any way.

“It’s incumbent on broadcasters to show they are not condoning such behaviour in any way.”

Read more: Dancing On Ice fans complain about "worst ever final"

An ITV spokesman said no decision had yet been made about the line-up for the new series and that talent “would only be attached to the forthcoming series closer to the time”.

The show's 13th series — and Barrowman's second as a judge — finished in March, with Capital FM presenter Sonny Jay crowned as the winner.

Alec Shelbrooke MP said Barrowman's actions are 'not acceptable'. (John Stillwell/PA Images/Getty)
Alec Shelbrooke MP said Barrowman's actions are 'not acceptable'. (John Stillwell/PA Images/Getty)

Multiple women disclosed details of Barrowman's behaviour on the sets of both Doctor Who and Torchwood, following resurfaced footage of a 2014 convention in which Noel Clarke joked about the actor exposing himself.

A former runner on Doctor Who told The Guardian that Barrowman would regularly take out his penis as a joke and that "it was kind of accepted that it was his thing"

Read more: Michaela Coel stands with Noel Clarke accusers

In a statement to that publication, Barrowman said: "With the benefit of hindsight, I understand that upset may have been caused by my exuberant behaviour and I have apologised for this previously.

"Since my apology in November 2008, my understanding and behaviour have also changed."

Representatives for John Barrowman have been approached for further comment.

Watch: Noel Clarke accused of on-set harrassment

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting