Kerry Katona's ex George Kay died after 'eating cocaine off hotel desk'

Albertina Lloyd
Entertainment reporter, Yahoo UK
Kerry Katona and George Kay in 2016 (Photo by Dave J Hogan/Dave J Hogan/Getty Images)

The shocking death of Kerry Katona’s ex-husband George Kay is being investigated by the police watchdog.

Kay - the father of Katona’s younger daughter Dylan-Jorge, aged five - died on Saturday July 6th aged 39 from a suspected drug overdose.

It has now emerged that police were called to Kay’s hotel in Runcorn, Cheshire the night before his death.

A source told the Liverpool Echo he had been acting erratically and hotel staff called the police. But Kay agreed to return to his room and officers left the scene.

Read more: Kerry Katona's ex George Kay dead of suspected drug overdose

It is claimed staff went to check on him at 10am on Saturday but found him "eating" a large amount of cocaine from his desk. He became unwell and police and ambulance services were called. Kay was taken to hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

A spokesperson for Cheshire police said in a statement: “At 9.54pm on Friday 5 July police received a report of concern for the safety of a 39-year-old man at a hotel on Wood Lane, Sutton Weaver, Runcorn. Officers attended and spoke to the man, as well as hotel staff. All parties agreed that he could remain at the hotel.

George Kay, Maxwell Mark Croft, Kerry Katona, Lilly-Sue McFadden, Molly McFadden and Heidi Croft in 2017 (Photo by Eamonn M. McCormack/Getty Images for Nickelodeon)

”At 10.11am on Saturday 6 July police received a further report of concern for the man’s safety.

”Due to the information provided the caller was advised to contact North West Ambulance Service for assistance.

Read more: Kerry Katona travelled to be with her ex George Kay's parents

”Paramedics attended the hotel and the man was taken to Warrington General Hospital for treatment, where he sadly later died.

“The death is not being treated as suspicious and a file will be prepared for the coroner.

“As with any death following police contact, Cheshire Constabulary has referred the matter to the Independent Office for Police Conduct. As the matter is now subject to an IOPC investigation it would be inappropriate for the force to make any further comments at this stage.”

Read more: Kerry Katona: Truancy claims are b******s

Kay had a history of drug abuse and mental health issues. He had been separated from Katona since 2015, when he was arrested for assaulting her, but the charges were later dropped due to lack of evidence. They reconciled but went on to divorce in 2017.

There was a restraining order in place to keep Kay away from Katona when he died and he had not seen his daughter, known as DJ, for over a year.

---Watch the latest videos from Yahoo UK---