A Labour parliamentary candidate who questioned the murder of MP Jo Cox has been dropped for failing to disclose embarrassing information that could have brought the Party into disrepute.
Mandy Richards was dismissed as the prospective candidate for Worcester on Wednesday after it emerged that she has been handed 14 restraining orders by the High Court for bringing “vexatious” claims against MI6, MI5 and a number of other organisations.
Labour sources have told The Telegraph that Ms Richards, who has also questioned the supposed lack of evidence after the Manchester Arena attack, failed to disclose the information when applying to become a candidate.
Today the Party confirmed that she will not be contesting the seat, after the National Executive Committee refused to endorse her.
According to an insider, the NEC ruled that Ms Richards “had displayed a lack of judgment that is not compatible with the high standards the Party expect of candidates and elected representatives”.
Under the selection criteria, candidates are asked both in an application form and by their interview panel to disclose anything in their background which could have the “potential to embarrass themselves or the Party in the media”.
The contest will now be rerun.
It comes just days after it emerged that Ms Richards had been banned from bringing court actions without a judge’s permission after making claims against multiple organisations “totally without merit”.
She was also found to have claimed on Twitter last year that the murder of Ms Cox was “conveniently bereft of evidence”, and posted a video suggesting footage of the Westminster attack was edited and faked.
In the wake of the revelations, she posted a 1,000 word defence of her actions online, stating that her critics “would rather have women and black people suffer in silence than seek advocacy and resolution”.
Welcoming the news, Wes Streeting, Labour MP for Ilford North, said: “'This is the right decision - and acted upon commendably fast. It clearly is possible when the will exists.”