The lost Cambridgeshire railway station with a footpath along its former tracks

The site of the former Ufford Bridge railway station
-Credit: (Image: Rodney Burton CC BY-SA 2.0)

Railway lines crisscrossing the country still pass by many of Cambridgeshire's lost railway stations, some of which are now private homes. However, in some places, the track has been completely removed, leaving very few signs that there was a railway line there at all.

At the site of Ufford Bridge railway station, you can walk along the route that the former railway line took. A road bridge marks the location of the long lost station.

The station served the villages of Ufford and Southorpe, near Peterborough and is just a few miles off the A1. It opened in 1867 on the Stamford and Essendine Railway line and served as a request stop until the 1880s.

The Sibson Extension eventually connected Stamford and Wansford, travelling via Ufford Bridge. Few passengers used the line as most wanted to travel to Peterborough or London.

The station was located at the point where the road from Ufford crossed the railway line and meets a T-junction for the road between Barnack and Southorpe. The platform was partially under the arch of the road bridge – the waiting room used the road bridge as its roof.

There was a goods siding to the south of the bridge. A train guard working at the station had multiple roles, serving as station master, porter, booking clerk, and ticket collector.

The station closed in July 1929, as did the railway line itself. The line was operating at a loss of nearly £3,000 per year, meaning it was not profitable to keep it running.

Now, a public footpath runs under the bridge along the path of the lost railway line. Walkers can follow a circular route from Barnack, with a relatively level and straight section which follows the lost line.