Madeleine McCann: Police recover 'number of' items in Portuguese reservoir search

Police investigating the disappearance of Madeleine McCann said they recovered several items during last week's search operation in a Portuguese reservoir.

The latest searches in Portugal were carried out after requests from German investigators.

In June 2020, German police said that they believed Madeleine was dead and that suspect Christian B was likely responsible.

Today German authorities said their investigation into the suspect would "continue for some time".

In an update, the Braunschweig Public Prosecutor's Office said: "The search operation carried out last week in the area of the Arade reservoir in Portugal ended on Thursday after three days as planned.

"A previously precisely defined area along the reservoir was completely searched for possible evidence.

"A number of items were seized as part of the operation. These will be evaluated in the coming days and weeks.

"It is not yet possible to say whether some of the items are actually related to the Madeleine McCann case."

The office also thanked police from the UK, Portugal and staff at Germany's Federal Criminal Police Office for "excellent and very constructive" cooperation.

"The investigations conducted here in Braunschweig against the 46-year-old suspect are expected to continue for some time," the statement added, referring to Christian B.

Search boats were seen entering the water and officers also examined the surrounding scrubland in the three-day operation that ended on 25 May.

The reservoir is located about 30 miles from where the British toddler went missing in Praia da Luz in the Algarve on 3 May 2007.

The area was previously searched in 2008 after Portuguese lawyer Marcos Aragao Correia paid for specialist divers to check the site.

Christian B is currently in prison for raping a 72-year-old woman in the same area of the Algarve region from where Madeleine vanished, but has not been charged with any crime related to the disappearance.

He has always denied any involvement in the child going missing.