Man bit off ear of undefeated boxer who attacked female pal outside Glasgow nightclub

Martin Hendrie pled guilty at Glasgow Sheriff Court
-Credit: (Image: Sprindrift)

A man chewed off the ear of an amateur boxer in a brawl outside a nightclub.

Martin Hendrie, 45, pounced on Michael McCrone in Glasgow city centre on July 9 2022. Undefeated fighter McCrone had earlier pushed Hendrie and assaulted his partner Anne-Marie Rogan.

Super flyweight McCrone then went on to put a thumb into Hendrie's eye before he pulled his head down. Hendrie then went on to bite the top of McCrone's ear which has never been re-attached.

READ MORE: Family of teen killed in Glasgow crash urge judge not to lock up driver responsible

READ MORE: Horror fire at former Coatbridge primary school caught in dramatic footage

Hendrie pled guilty under provocation today at Glasgow Sheriff Court to assaulting McCrone to his severe injury and permanent disfigurement. The court heard Hendrie and Rogan, 42, of Clydebank, West Dunbartonshire were out with friend, nurse Laura Jane Gilbert, 31, who had visited from Inverness.

McCrone was thrown out The Savoy nightclub due to "inappropriate comments" made to the women. A short time later, Hendrie and the women went outside while McCrone and his brother were in the vicinity.

McCrone's brother bumped into Hendrie's friend Miss Gilbert and shouted abuse towards the women. Hendrie then intervened before the brothers turned their attention towards him.

Prosecutor Emma Baker said: "McCrone pushed Hendrie to the chest and his partner Miss Rogan had to get in the middle of them. At this point, she herself was assaulted by McCrone and his brother.

"They also went on to assault them by punching Hendrie and his partner."

Hendrie and McCrone then ended up grappling with each other. Miss Baker added: "McCrone tried to pull Hendrie's head down and he then put his thumb into his eye.

"Hendrie reacted by biting the left ear of McCrone, ultimately removing the top of it."

Police attended and Hendrie was arrested while McCrone was taken to hospital for treatment. Miss Baker said: "The top of his ear could not be re-attached."

It was revealed that McCrone had also been prosecuted for this incident and received 180 hours of unpaid work. He was also tagged for five months keeping him indoors between 8pm and 6am as well as put under supervision for two years.

Eddie Robertson, defending, told the court: "Hendrie told McCrone and his brother to mind their language. The two men were ushered out and there was an indication that they were amateur boxers. That was made plain.

"There was a response of 'what are you going to do about it' as they were being led outside and 'you are getting stabbed outside'. Hendrie and his party then leave, then he lights a cigarette and then there was the bumping into of Miss Gilbert."

Sentence was deferred on Hendrie until next month by Sheriff Brian Cameron who continued his bail meantime.

Sign up to our daily Glasgow Live newsletter here to receive news and features direct to your inbox

Join Glasgow Live's WhatsApp community here and get the latest news sent straight to your messages.