Man dies following incident at Ribena factory in Coleford

Factory floor at the Lucozade Ribena Suntory in Coleford
Factory floor at the Lucozade Ribena Suntory in Coleford -Credit:Mark Watkins

A man has died following an incident at the Lucozade and Ribena factory based in Coleford. The man was taken to hospital with serious injuries following the incident which happened last week, however he died just days later.

Police were called to the scene the afternoon of April 22. An investigation has been launched and is being led by the Health and Safety Executive.

Production at the factory ceased following the incident. It is said production at the factory is expected to resume in a phased approach later this week.

READ MORE: Man not seen for six-weeks missing from Gloucester

Suntory Beverage & Food GB&I is the company responsible for the factory and its manufacturing on the site. Suntory Beverage & Food GB&I Chief Operating Officer, Carol Robert said: “A serious incident occurred in our warehouse at our Coleford manufacturing site on April 22.

"We are deeply saddened to confirm that this has resulted in the loss of a colleague. We are in close communication with the family of the employee and the whole business extends our sincere condolences at this extremely difficult time.

"We are cooperating fully with the ongoing investigation by the regulator. Given that it is very much a live investigation, it would not be appropriate to comment further. Our thoughts remain with the family of our colleague, and we would also ask that their privacy is respected at this time.”

The Health and Safety Executive have said they will be investigating along with Gloucestershire Police. A Health and Safety Executive spokesperson said: “We are aware of an incident at the Lucozade Ribena Suntory Ltd factory in Coleford on 22 April 2024. Sadly, a 50-year-old man has died as a result of the injuries he sustained. We will now lead an investigation into what happened alongside Gloucestershire Police.”

Gloucestershire Police have confirmed this was a workplace incident. A Gloucestershire Police spokeswoman said: "Police were called at 3.50pm on Monday 22 April with a report that a man had been injured during a workplace incident at a unit on Rock Lane in Coleford.

"A man in his 50s, who was taken to Southmead Hospital in Bristol for treatment to serious injuries, died on Thursday, April 25. His next of kin is aware. The incident has been handed over to the Health and Safety Executive to investigate."