Man dies after serious incident at South West factory

Factory floor at the Lucozade Ribena Suntory in Coleford
Some of the 50,000 Lucozade Energy energy drinks that are bottled every hour at Lucozade Ribena Suntory in Coleford Picture by Mark Watkins -Credit:Mark Watkins

A man has died following an incident at the Lucozade and Ribena factory in Coleford, Gloucestershire. The victim was rushed to hospital with severe injuries after the incident last week, but died in hospital in Bristol a few days later.

The police were sent to the scene on the afternoon of April 22. An investigation is currently under way, led by the Health and Safety Executive.

Following the incident, production at the factory was halted. It's anticipated that operations will gradually resume later this week, reports GloucestershireLive.

Read more:

Suntory Beverage and Food GBandI, the company overseeing the factory and its manufacturing processes, expressed their condolences. Carol Robert, Chief Operating Officer of Suntory Beverage and Food GBandI, said: "A serious incident occurred in our warehouse at our Coleford manufacturing site on April 22.

"We are deeply saddened to confirm that this has resulted in the loss of a colleague. We are in close communication with the family of the employee and the whole business extends our sincere condolences at this extremely difficult time.", reports Gloucestershire Live.

"We are cooperating fully with the ongoing investigation by the regulator. Given that it is very much a live investigation, it would not be appropriate to comment further. Our thoughts remain with the family of our colleague, and we would also ask that their privacy is respected at this time."

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has confirmed that they will be conducting an investigation into a fatal incident at the Lucozade Ribena Suntory Ltd factory in Coleford on April 22, 2024, alongside Gloucestershire Police.

A spokesperson for the HSE said: "We are aware of an incident at the Lucozade Ribena Suntory Ltd factory in Coleford on 22 April 2024. Sadly, a 50-year-old man has died as a result of the injuries he sustained. We will now lead an investigation into what happened alongside Gloucestershire Police."

Gloucestershire Police have also confirmed that this was a workplace incident. A spokeswoman for the force said: "Police were called at 3.50pm on Monday 22 April with a report that a man had been injured during a workplace incident at a unit on Rock Lane in Coleford.

"A man in his 50s, who was taken to Southmead Hospital in Bristol for treatment to serious injuries, died on Thursday, April 25. His next of kin is aware. The incident has been handed over to the Health and Safety Executive to investigate."

Want the latest Gloucestershire breaking news and top stories first? Click here to join our WhatsApp group . We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don’t like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you’re curious, you can read our Privacy Notice .