A man was shocked to discover that his store-bought salad contained the skeletal remains of a dead bird.
The unpleasant finding was made as Paul Streeter, from Weare, Somerset, served a dinner of pizza and salad to his girlfriend Julia and three children on Saturday night.
To their horror a dead bird was laying amongst the baby rocket leaf salad which had just been bought from their local Tesco supermarket in Burnham-On-Sea on the same day.
[ Related feature: The grossest things people have found in food]
Mr Streeter spoke of the horrifying discovery to Bristol 24/7. He said: “I couldn't believe my eyes. It was horrific. Julia was seconds away from eating it. The bird was emaciated and about four inches long. At first Julia thought it was a leaf and tried to separate it with her fork.
“Then she just screamed and went to be sick - she is a vegetarian too.”
Following the incident, the couple were offered compensation in the form of clubcard points by the store before Mr Streeter formally lodged a complaint to Tesco.
A Tesco spokesman responded to the incident and said in a statement: “We take matters of this kind extremely seriously and are very disappointed to learn of this incident.
“Ensuring our food is of the highest quality is extremely important to us and we and our suppliers have robust systems in place to prevent foreign objects getting into products.
“We are in contact with the customer and have apologised.”
The store added that they would investigate further.