Man Fleeing E-bike Fire Saved After 'Dangling Precariously From Window Ledge'

Dramatic footage showed a firefighter helping a man who was “dangling from a window ledge” of his London apartment while trying to escape a fire on February 7.

The London Fire Brigade (LFB) said firefighters rescued two men from windows of the flat after a charging converted e-bike burst into flames in the hallway, blocking their exit.

Footage released by the LFB showed one of the men being helped from the window ledge by a firefighter and guided down a ladder. Smoke is seen billowing from the man’s flat above.

The fire is being treated as accidental and is believed to have been caused by the failure of a lithium battery pack in the converted e-bike.

One woman was taken to a hospital as a precaution for smoke inhalation, the LFB said. Credit: London Fire Brigade via Storyful

Video transcript