Meghan Markle's father threatens legal action to see Archie and Lilibet

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
·Royal Correspondent
·2-min read
In this article:
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
CAPE TOWN, SOUTH AFRICA - SEPTEMBER 25: Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex and their baby son Archie Mountbatten-Windsor at a meeting with Archbishop Desmond Tutu at the Desmond & Leah Tutu Legacy Foundation during their royal tour of South Africa on September 25, 2019 in Cape Town, South Africa. (Photo by Toby Melville - Pool/Getty Images)
Harry and Meghan with Archie in September 2019 in South Africa. Thomas Markle has not met his royal grandchildren. (Toby Melville - Pool/Getty Images)

Meghan Markle's father is threatening legal action if he cannot see his grandchildren, amid an ongoing rift between the two.

Thomas Markle Snr, who lives in Rosarito, Mexico, asked the Queen and the British Royal Family for help in seeing his granddaughter, Lilibet, who was born on 4 June. 

In a clip filmed at his home he asks for Lili to be christened at the Queen's church.

He told Fox News: "We shouldn’t be punishing [Lili] for Meghan and Harry’s bad behaviour.

"Archie and Lili are small children. They’re not politics. They’re not pawns. They’re not part of the game. And they’re also royal and entitled to the same rights as any other royal."

He then says he hopes the Queen, and "the people of England will stop and think about this", adding "Archie and Lili are just sweet little kids, let keep it to that". 

Then he adds: "I will be petitioning the California courts for the rights to see my grandchildren in the very near future."

Thomas Markle Snr appeared on GMB to give his side of the story. (GMB)
Thomas Markle Snr appeared on Good Morning Britain to give his side of the story. (GMB)

Read more: Unearthed clip shows Queen joking around and talking French with world leaders

The former lighting director is then asked about Harry's forthcoming memoirs and says the prince "doesn't have much more to tell". 

He called the plans for a book "foolish" and "an insult to the royals". 

And he extended an invitation to his home to the Queen and Charles, at the interviewer's suggestion, though said "you're joking now" as he did so.

Markle Snr previously revealed that he intends to do interviews every 30 days until his daughter responds to him, as the pair have not spoken for more than three years.

He was supposed to walk her down the aisle when she married Prince Harry in May 2018, but was unable to make it, citing a heart condition and surgery.

Meghan Markle walks down the aisle as she arrives in St George's Chapel at Windsor Castle for her wedding to Prince Harry in Windsor, Britain, May 19, 2018. Danny Lawson/Pool via REUTERS
Meghan's father was not there to walk her down the aisle in 2018. (Reuters)

Before the wedding there had been controversy after it emerged he had faked paparazzi shots, but texts released as part of a court case showed that Harry and Meghan had hoped he would come to the wedding anyway.

Markle Snr was keen to give evidence in court after Meghan took legal action against the Mail On Sunday and the MailOnline over its publication of a letter she had written to her father.

But the matter was resolved by summary judgment, though Associated Newspapers Ltd, the publishers of both the Mail On Sunday and the MailOnline, is appealing the ruling.

Watch: Duchess Meghan’s father wants to go for a drink with Prince Charles

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting