Counter terrorism police launch probe after Ulez camera in Sidcup 'blown up with IED'

The Metropolitan Police are investigating an incident in Sidcup after a Ulez camera exploded (PA Wire)
The Metropolitan Police are investigating an incident in Sidcup after a Ulez camera exploded (PA Wire)

Counter terrorism police have launched an investigation after a Ulez camera was blown up by an "improvised explosive device" in Sidcup on Wednesday.

Officers said that the explosion of a camera on Willersley Avenue was likely caused by a "low-sophistication" IED.

Footage filmed at the scene shows a dented van and a chunk taken out of a brick wall.

A van and a bus were damaged in the explosion, and one man was treated at the scene.

Officers from the Met's Counter Terrorism Command, which includes those with specialist expertise in explosives, are leading the investigation and have urged anyone with information to contact them.

Detective Chief Superintendent Trevor Lawry, Commander for the Bexley area said: “Thankfully, nobody was injured as a result of this incident, but it is extremely concerning that an explosive device seems to have been deliberately placed in a public place. This could have very easily resulted in members of the public being very seriously injured.

“Because of the seriousness of this incident, we are making urgent enquiries to try and identify anyone involved, and officers with specialist expertise and capability from our Counter Terrorism Command are leading the investigation.

“This was an extremely dangerous incident that could have resulted in innocent members of the public being injured or worse. If you have any information that could assist our investigation, then I would urge you to get in touch immediately.”

A man who filmed the aftermath of the explosion described how there was “shrapnel everywhere”.

Speaking over a video of the scene posted on social media, he said: "Ulez camera's been dismantled, blown the geezer's van in half, shrapnel everywhere.

"Broke the geezer's fence. It's like a World War Two explosion's just gone off.”

When the camera blew up, the transformer box beneath it was uprooted and sent into construction manager Dalan Ismet’s van on the other side of the road, the Sun reported.

Mr Ismet, 32, told the Sun the box would have gone straight through his living room window had his van not been in the way.

He said: “I was in the bedroom at the time. I thought it was a bomb or a gas explosion.

“I’ve never heard anything like that from an electrical fault.

“Thank god my van was in the way - otherwise it would have gone straight through my living room window.”

Firefighters from Eltham Fire Station responded to an incident and confirmed a car and bus were damaged in the explosion.

A man was also treated at the scene by the London Ambulance Service, the LFB said.

The Met said no arrests have been made and enquiries are ongoing.

Anyone with information that could assist the police investigation has been encouraged to call 101 quoting CAD 5819/06DEC.