Missing Jay Slater was 'jumped by three men' when he was 12 - and his mum thought he had been kidnapped

Missing teenager Jay Slater was ambushed by three attackers who jumped out of a car when he was just 12 years-old.

The 19-year-old, from Oswaldtwistle, was left "absolutely terrified" and "really shook up" after the traumatic attack back in November 2017. The Accrington Observer reported at the time how three men jumped out of a car and targeted Jay and his friend before witnesses intervened.

Speaking of the attack, Jay's mum Debbie Duncan said: "He was really shook up and had a massive lump on his head. He said they were kicking them when they were on the ground.


"They rang me to say Jay had been attacked and they think they’ve taken him in a car. I was hysterical on the end of the phone.

"People are saying there are gangs of youths in Oswaldtwistle, but I know Jay wasn’t involved in that. He had only been out of the house for about half an hour."

Debbie explained how she feared Jay had been taken by the men, when in fact the then 12-year-old was hiding under a car. This incident came four years before Jay was part of a group that attacked Tom Hilton with a machete, golf clubs and an axe.

Tom, who was 17 years old at the time, had horrific wounds on his shoulders and legs. His skull was also exposed as a result of the injuries.

Apprentice bricklayer Jay was given an 18-month community order with 25 days of rehabilitation activities and 150 hours of unpaid work. Despite the attack, Tom has publicly backed the search for Jay as the apprentice bricklayer remains missing 10 days after he disappeared in Tenerife.

Jay disappeared following an attempt to walk back to his accommodation on June 17. He had attended the NRG music festival on the island with two friends before his disappearance and his last known location was the Rural de Teno Park in the north of the island – which was about an 11-hour walk from his accommodation.

The teen was seen setting off on foot the next morning. He called his friend Lucy at 8:50am, telling her he had low phone battery and needed water. This was the last anyone has heard from Jay.

A renewed search has begun in Tenerife today (June 29) after Spanish police appealed for expert volunteers to help. It marks the 13th day in the search for Jay.

On Friday, his friend Brad Hargreaves told ITV’s This Morning he had been on a video call with him before his disappearance when he heard him go off the road. Earlier this week, his mother Debbie Duncan, who travelled to the island following his disappearance, said money raised online would be used to support mountain rescue teams, and to cover her own accommodation and food costs.