Newcastle United 1-1 Brighton: Magpies must play the waiting game as Seagulls harm Euro hopes

Newcastle United failed to sign off for the season at St James' Park on winning note and their hopes of European football will now be decided in a dramatic finale in the Premier League.

Despite banking a point against the Seagulls, Newcastle must now wait for other results to come in and ensure they earn big results at Man United and Brentford. Despite creating 18 goal attempts, Newcastle found it a struggle against the South Coast side and looked leggy towards the end of the contest.

Hopes of fifth place went up in smoke due to the score draw with Spurs now needing one point to pip Newcastle. But it will be a battle now for sixth spot.

READ MORE: Eddie Howe's pre-match Press conference for the crunch clash against Brighton & Hove Albion

READ MORE: Kieran Trippier on brink of Newcastle United return as surprise Fabian Schar update offered

Jacob Murphy tried to set the tone after 90 seconds with a low cross that was hacked over the bar and earned Newcastle a corner, but the set-piece came to nothing. On four minutes, Lewis Hall then won a free-kick down the left-hand side to hand United another opportunity.

Hall whipped the ball into the centre but it was easy for Brighton keeper Bart Verbruggen to make a commanding claim in the air. An Anthony Gordon corner was curled in from the left-hand side on seven minutes but Bruno Guimaraes headed well wide of the target.

For all Newcastle's early attacking intent, it was the visitors who grabbed the lead to shock the Leazes End. Pascal Gross directed a corner for Danny Welbeck to head into the danger area and Joel Veltman flicked home to hand Brighton a surprise lead. As the game reached the midway point of the first half, both sides had managed 50% possession.

Three minutes before half-time Julio Enciso sent an effort over for Brighton in what would prove a let off for the Magpies. But after a disappointing first half, Newcastle pulled themselves level thanks to livewire Gordon.

Gordon was released into the final third by Hall before probing the Brighton defence on the left-hand side. After luring a bunch of defenders into a false sense of security he slipped it to Elliot Anderson on left who squared it perfectly for Sean Longstaff before the Geordie midfielder side-footed home to make it 1-1.

It was a relief for Newcastle fans with the goal coming four minutes into stoppage time but for Longstaff, it took his personal tally to eight goals for the season with two games to go.

The Magpies did not pick up where they left off in the first half after the break and took time to start creating openings again. Isak's cross from the right was hacked frantically clear by Tariq Lamptey with Verbruggen pushing the ball to safety just before the hour mark.

Howe turned to his bench on 65 minutes and introduced Miguel Almiron, Joelinton and Harvey Barnes. The trio replaced Jacob Murphy, Longstaff and Isak. With 13 minutes left, Almiron managed to force a corner on the right-hand side but again an inviting situation lacked overall quality and the end product was a blocked Hall shot and a yellow card for the full-back after a tactical foul.

With 10 minutes left, Gordon got free down the right and rolled the ball into Barnes' path but he sent it over the bar. Barnes was presented with another chance, this time on the left of the box, but he curled it straight at the keeper and Verbruggen held on.

A VAR check with four minutes to go saw Gordon's tap in ruled out after Almiron's pass across the penalty area. Kieran Trippier was introduced in the last throes of the game for Hall.

The England full-back came on for five minutes of additional time with Newcastle chasing a winner and slotted in at left-back. Almiron went down in the box after a challenge but was only handed a yellow card for diving.

Anderson tried a late effort from outside the box right at the death but it was easy for the keeper. And that was that, Newcastle had to settle for a point and a season of tests and difficulties will go right down to the wire.

Referee: Darren England (Doncaster)

Attendance: 51,997