Paignton mum angry after 'finding plastic screw in KFC'

Mum says she found plastic screw in KFC
-Credit: (Image: Jody Thomas)

A mum has demanded answers after claiming she found a plastic screw in her KFC. Jody Thomas was chewing on her seasoned fried chicken when she realised 'something wasn't right'.

She spat out what she thought was a stumpy bit of bone - only to discover a chunky plastic screw. Pictures show the unwanted twister nestling back in the bucket among the fries and partly gnawed bird.

She raised a complaint with the takeaway restaurant in Paignton but is unhappy with the response and has threatened legal action. KFC says its "care squad" has been in touch with Jody to make things right.

The incident happened at the end of March. Jody said: "I'm disgusted by what happened. I bought a meal for one from Paignton KFC on Brixham Road and took it home. I was eating it and thought something wasn't right. I thought it was a bit of bone but when I spat it out it was a plastic screw about 3cm long.

"I just thought 'My gosh, if that was a child they could have choked on it'. I contacted KFC and they took quite a while to respond, also the council food safety team. I still haven't received a proper response from them.

Want the latest Devon breaking news and top stories first? Click here to join our WhatsApp group. We also treat our community members to special offers, promotions, and adverts from us and our partners. If you don’t like our community, you can check out any time you like. If you’re curious, you can read our Privacy Notice

Plastic screw in KFC
Plastic screw in KFC -Credit:Jody Thomas

"They said they had a strict safety protocol and this sort of thing doesn't happen but they were willing to offer me a £20 voucher. I declined and said I was taking legal action. Then they said they'd give me an extra £5.

"If this was a child that died everybody would be saying 'how could this happen?' A £25 voucher is laughable. I'm never going to KFC again."

Jody says the screw must have been in the chicken or in the chips. "I had poured the gravy over and it had not come out in the gravy. How can you be putting stuff into the box and not noticing something like that in it?"

The 36-year-old says she has contacted three solicitors who have declined to take up her case as no injury was caused. She says environmental health has also not responded.

A spokesperson for KFC said: “We have strict processes in place to prevent any foreign objects from entering the food we serve. As a result, we take claims of this nature extremely seriously and can confirm the team conducted a full investigation into how this incident occurred.

"That said, we know it wasn’t a great experience for Jody and our care squad has been in touch to help make things right.”