People flying out of UK this summer urged to spend £207 or be 'denied boarding'

UK holidaymakers and tourists have been warned over an "important" passport rule to avoid paying hundreds of pounds. New rules could leave holidaymakers vulnerable if they're jetting off the European Union and beyond this year.

UK passengers have been warned double-check the expiry date on their travel documents. People travelling to any country in the EU, or Iceland, Norway, Lichtenstein and Switzerland should ensure their passports have been issued less than 10 years before the date they enter the EU country.

Entering or exiting these countries with outdated documents could force travellers to pay fees for new travel documents. On its website, the Passport Office says the fee for a new passport is £207.50, adding: “The earliest you can get an appointment is two days after you apply.

READ MORE Met Office issue verdict on when heatwaves will hit UK in June and July

“You will get your new passport at your appointment. You can only use this service to renew an adult passport.” Gemma Brown, head of commercial and travel expert at Travel Republic shared a fresh warning. She said: “If travellers make it all the way to their boarding gate without checking, airlines can refuse those holding passports that were issued over 10 years ago.

“In this instance, passengers should be aware that denied boarding is reasonable due to inadequate travel documentation. The likelihood is that travel insurance providers would cover any costs associated with invalid or expired passports, as it's down to the traveller to triple check their documentation is correct."

The expert continued: “Our advice would be to ensure that your passport is within the 10-year issue date and is valid for at least six months from the date of departure to ensure you will be accepted into most countries. Regardless of passport rules, it’s important for all travellers to research the country they plan to visit and ensure they know what travel documentation is required upon entering and leaving.

“You can find foreign travel advice on the government website to make sure you have everything covered.”