Venice two thirds under water as streets become canals
Bad weather swept across Italy this weekend causing Venice, known as 'The Floating city', to effectively close due to 70% of the city being flooded.
5ft of water, the sixth highest since 1872, closed shops and restaurants while residents were warned to stay on the top levels of their homes.
More than 200 people have been evacuated in Tuscany.
Some tourists have been making the best of a bad situation, venturing out into the flood water to see the sights of the historic city.
News For You
- Expectant Parents Asked the Internet to Name Their Child. And the Winning …
- RAF Jet Chases Russian Planes Away From UK
- Caught on Facebook: Nanny who stole jewellery and clothes from couple tagged …
- Oscar winner Lupita Nyong'o named People's most beautiful woma …
- Pictured: RAF Jets Intercept Russian Bombers