Police name man, 27, who died after collision at Kensington High street crossing
A 27-year-old man killed after being hit by a car on Kensington High Street has been named by police.
Niksan D’Costa was crossing the road at 8.20pm on Thursday when a car ploughed into him at a pedestrian crossing.
He was pronounced dead at the scene of the crossing near TK Maxx.
A shop worker described how passers-by tried to help the man before paramedics and police were scrambled to the scene.
Tara Nichols said: “There was a loud thud and then some screaming. At first I thought a cyclist had been hit. People were running over to see if they could help.
“There was total panic. One guy who went over was ashen, it was clear what he saw was horrific.
“Next thing there were police cars everywhere. We are all thinking of the poor guy’s family.”
Len Dalton, 51, a warehouse worker said: “I was heading home. There were blue lights flashing and medics surrounding a body. It was awful. This road is a death trap. I’ve nearly been hit myself.”
Another witness told the Standard she heard an enormous bang.
She said: “I thought it was a bomb attack because of the noise.”
Another added: “The area was very busy. We were all shocked and were crying a bit for fear when we realised that someone had been killed.
“It seems to me like a horrible nightmare.”
Another added: “The only serious injury I saw was of this poor man whose injuries were indescribable. May God give his family the strength to get through this. I know a lot of people were recording the scene so there must be a lot of footage of it.
“It literally could have been anyone crossing.”
Traffic police are trawling CCTV images and collecting evidence as they launched an investigation. They particularly want anyone with dashcam footage of the incident to come forward.
A Met spokesman said the man’s next of kin have been informed and are being supported by specialist officers.
A statement said that the 25-year-old driver had been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and driving under the influence of a controlled substance.
He was released on bailed until a later date in May.
“It said: “The driver of the car, a 25-year-old man, stopped at the scene and was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and driving under the influence of a controlled substance.
“He was taken into custody and has since been bailed until a date in mid May.”
Any witnesses, or anyone who captured the incident on dash-cam or other camera footage, is asked to call the witness appeal line 0208 543 5157 or 101 quoting Cad 6564/23FEB, or to remain anonymous Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.