Police officer Wayne Couzens charged with kidnapping and murdering Sarah Everard

·2-min read

A serving Metropolitan Police officer has been charged with murdering and kidnapping Sarah Everard, who went missing in south London last week.

Wayne Couzens, 48, will appear before Westminster Magistrates' Court tomorrow, according to a statement from the Met.

A woman in her 30s who had also been arrested on suspicion of assisting an offender has been released on bail.

She is due to return to a police station in mid-April.

Noting the "interests of clarity" around Couzens' history in the force, the statement also revealed details about his job.

The 48-year-old joined the Metropolitan Police Service on 10 September, 2018, and was first posted to South Area with a response team that covered Bromley.

He was later posted to the Parliamentary and Diplomatic Protection Command on 1 February, 2020.

Here, Couzens was mostly sent on uniformed patrol duties of diplomatic premises, including a range of Embassies.

Speaking outside Scotland Yard, Metropolitan Police Assistant Commissioner Nick Ephgrave paid tribute to Ms Everard's family and friends for their "fortitude and forbearance" over the last few days of the investigation

Watch: 'Sarah Everard vigil may still go ahead despite police ruling it out'

He added: "Our thoughts remain with them as this matter progresses.

"The investigation continues of course supported by hundreds of officers from across the Met as well as colleagues in Kent Police.

"I would also like to thank at this stage all members of the public who have come forward with information or support for the investigation and would use this opportunity to encourage anyone who thinks they might have useful information to give to get in contact with us."

Ms Everard, 33, went missing while walking to her home in Brixton from the nearby Clapham Junction area on Wednesday 3 March.

She had been at a friend's house when she left the property in Leathwaite Road around 9pm.

The last known sighting of the marketing executive was captured on a doorbell camera just after 9.30pm showing her walking alone toward Tulse Hill.

Her body was found in woodland near Ashford, Kent, a week later.

The news on Friday evening comes just hours after police confirmed human remains found in a woodland area in Kent were those of the missing 33-year-old.

Watch: The simple hand signal that lets people know you're in danger

Our goal is to create a safe and engaging place for users to connect over interests and passions. In order to improve our community experience, we are temporarily suspending article commenting