Police shoot XL Bully after 'out-of-control' dog attacks woman in street

Police arrested the 15-year-old on Tuesday
-Credit: (Image: Derby Telegraph)

An XL Bully dog was shot dead by officers after injuring a woman in Salford. Police were summoned to Gladstone Road in Eccles, off Liverpool Road, at about 9pm on Friday evening following multiple reports of a dangerously out-of-control dog attacking the public.

Officers from GMP who were unable to control the dog then tragically had to resort to killing the animal 'as the last possible option'. The female victim is currently receiving treatment for her injuries sustained in the attack and two men have been detained after they confronted the police.

Photos reveal several police cars at the intersection of Liverpool Road and Gladstone Road, with a host of police and armed officers visible at the scene. Sharing details of the incident, a GMP spokesperson said: "At around 9pm tonight (Friday 28 June 2024) on Gladstone Road in Eccles we were called to several reports of a dog dangerously out of control that was subsequently attacking the public and injured a woman in the process."

Read more: Dunelm 'gorgeous' summer bedding fans say 'instantly brightens up room' now £11 in sale

Read next: Antler launch huge 20 per cent off sale including Jet2 and easyJet-approved cabin bags

They continued: "Initially, both local officers and the public were unable to regain control of the dog. Specialised officers were deployed and tried to safely secure the XL Bully but were unsuccessful. This meant unfortunately due to the risk and harm it was causing as a banned breed it was destroyed at the scene as the last possible option.", reports the Manchester Evening News.

Adding further, they said: "Two men were later arrested and detained after confronting officers. The woman victim is still receiving treatment for her injuries."

"We understand the concern this incident will raise within the community but our officers have a duty to act in challenging situations on a regular basis with the aim of keeping everyone safe." According to GMP, enquiries regarding the dog owner are ongoing.