Priest found dead on Scottish church grounds as police launch investigation

Father Bogdan Palka
Father Bogdan Palka -Credit:St Mary Magdalene's RC Church

A priest that was found dead in the grounds of a church in Perth has been named as Father Bogdan Palka.

The 61-year-old's body was found at St Mary Magdalene's Church on Saturday. Police are currently treating the death as unexplained, reports the Daily Record.

Reverend Krzysztof Jablonski, deacon at the church, confirmed his tragic passing.

READ MORE - Scared Edinburgh bus passengers say 'window smashed by rooftop teens throwing rocks'

READ MORE - Chaotic brawl breaks out between Edinburgh women in the middle of Princes Street

He said: "This is the most desperate and sad situation.

"I’m lost for words and have no idea what the church does next. All we can do at this stage is pray to Father Palka."

The popular priest had been at the church for two years after settling in Perth almost a decade ago.

Reverend Jablonski continued: "He has been located in Perth for 10 years and is very popular with his congregation. The diocese will have a meeting on Monday to make further preparations during this difficult and sad time.

Sign up for Edinburgh Live newsletters for more headlines straight to your inbox

"However, police have given us no indication so far how long it will be before we can expect to return to the church."

Tributes have been paid to popular Father Palka from colleagues and friends in the community.

St Mungo's RC Church Alloa said: "Please pray for the happy repose of the soul of Father Bogdan Palka SDS who died yesterday. Father Bogdan was Administrator of St. Mary Magdalene parish in Perth and also chaplain to the Polish community.

Join Edinburgh Live's Whatsapp Community here and get the latest news sent straight to your messages.

"May he rest in peace and rise in glory."

Louise Murie said: "Such sad news."

Allan Doohan said: "He had called me this week. It's a shock to hear of his unexpected passing.

"Prayers for him, his parish, and his family."

The church has been closed until further notice while a police probe continues.