Prince Andrew 'knows what he's done', says Epstein sex accuser Virginia Roberts Giuffre

Andy Hayes, news reporter

A woman who claims she was forced to have sex with Prince Andrew when she was 17 has said he "knows what he's done" and "I hope he comes clean about it".

Virginia Roberts Giuffre was speaking outside a court in New York after more than 20 women who claim to have been sexually abused by late US financier Jeffrey Epstein - a friend of the duke - vented their anger during a hearing.

Ms Giuffre has previously alleged in court papers in Florida that she had sex with Andrew "three times, including one orgy" in London, at Epstein's home, and at an "orgy" on his private island in the Caribbean.

At 17, she would have been under the age of consent in Florida.

Prince Andrew has previously strenuously denied her claim he had sex with her.

In a statement released at the weekend, the Duke of York said he did not " see, witness or suspect any behaviour of the sort that led to Epstein's arrest and conviction".

His denials have cut little ice with Ms Giuffre's lawyer, Brad Edwards, who has fought for alleged victims of Epstein since 2005 and called the Duke of York's response "just bland statements that are not responding to anything".

Mr Edwards told reporters he had invited the duke "multiple times" to come and answer "real questions, that the victims have and that we have on their behalf".

Another of Ms Giuffre's lawyers, David Boies, added: "Anybody can deny things in a printed statement. It's a different thing to come here, answer questions, under oath, subject to cross-examination. Those are the kinds of answers that we're eventually going to get."

Footage recently emerged of Prince Andrew inside Epstein's Manhattan mansion in 2010 .

The video was reportedly shot on 6 December 2010, around the time the Duke of York was photographed with disgraced billionaire Epstein in New York's Central Park.

It shows Andrew peering out from a large door of the mansion waving goodbye to a woman after Epstein leaves to get in a chauffeur-driven car.

Epstein, 66, was arrested on 6 July and pleaded not guilty to federal charges of sex trafficking involving dozens of girls as young as 14.

He was found dead in his cell at the Metropolitan Correctional Center in Lower Manhattan on 10 August.

Ms Giuffre has said that at the age of 15, she was recruited to perform sex acts on Epstein while working at Donald Trump's Mar-a-Lago club in Florida.

Speaking outside court on Tuesday, she said: "It's not how Jeffrey died, it's how he lived.

"I was recruited at a very young age from Mar-a-Lago and entrapped in a world that I didn't understand and I've been fighting that very world to this day, and I won't stop fighting - I will never be silenced until these people are brought to justice."

Ms Giuffre also mentioned Ghislaine Maxwell - a former girlfriend of Epstein and daughter of newspaper tycoon Robert Maxwell.

Another woman who accused Jeffrey Epstein of sexual misconduct - Jennifer Araoz - has sued his estate, Ghislaine Maxwell and three unnamed staff members who worked for the financier, according to a court filing.

Ms Giuffre said: "We need to get to the bottom of everybody who was involved with [the Epstein scandal], starting with Ghislaine Maxwell and going along the lines there."

Ms Maxwell has denied any wrongdoing.

Other women who say they were sexually abused by Epstein told the court hearing in New York that he was a "depraved and cowardly human being" and that he eats away at their souls.

One of Epstein's accusers, Courtney Wild, says she was abused by him at the age of 14.

She told the court she feels "very angry and sad" that he killed himself before going on trial for alleged sex trafficking, adding that "justice has never been served in this case".

Another accuser, Sarah Ransome, said Epstein "showed the world what a depraved and cowardly human being he was by taking his own life".

Chauntae Davies said she will "not let him win in death".

Jennifer Araoz said: "The fact that I will never have a chance to face my predator in court eats away at my soul."

Listen to the Daily podcast on Apple Podcasts , Google Podcasts , Spotify , Spreaker

District Judge Richard Berman said Epstein's suicide was a "stunning turn of events" and that his accusers had been included in the hearing "because of their relevant experiences".

According to a post-mortem, Epstein hanged himself.

But during Tuesday's hearing, one of his lawyers, Martin Weinberg, challenged that ruling.

He said an expert hired by the defence thought broken bones in Epstein's neck were "more consistent with pressure... with homicide" than suicide.

Mr Weinberg told the judge: "Find out what happened to our client. We're quite angry."

It has emerged that Epstein signed a will just two days before his death, placing all his property, worth more than £469m, in a trust, according to the Reuters news agency.