Pub speaks out after fire sparks early morning evacuation

The blaze began near the rear of The Star Inn Vogue in the early hours of this morning (May 22)
-Credit: (Image: Google Maps)

A pub in Cornwall has thanked the local community after a fire broke out overnight and destroyed two caravans and a lawnmower. The Star Inn Vogue, in St Day, near Redruth, was evacuated following the fire, which involved two touring caravans, a shed, a fence, rubbish bins and a number of gas cylinders.

In a statement posted to social media, pub operators Mark and Rachel said the fire broke out near the rear of the pub in the early hours of this morning, Wednesday, May 22. Firefighters from Tolvaddon station rushed to the scene at around 3.09am and used two hose reels and two sets of breathing apparatus to tackle the blaze.

Electric to the caravans was isolated and a 50m cordon was established around the scene due to the gas cylinders involved. The Star Inn Vogue was evacuated and other nearby residents were urged to stay in their homes.

Read more:

Mark and Rachel, posting to Facebook, said that "everyone is okay" and that no one was hurt in the fire. The post said: "Hi as you may be aware by now we had a fire towards the rear of the pub in the early hours of this morning.

"We'd just like to say that everyone is ok but a little tired. Two touring caravans and our lawnmower were lost and can be replaced, thankfully nobody was hurt. We'd also like to thank everyone for their kind messages."

The fire was extinguished shortly before 3.30am, Cornwall Fire and Rescue Service said. A spokesperson said: "Two appliances from Tolvaddon attended a fire that had spread and involved two touring caravans, shed, fence, rubbish bins and a number of gas cylinders.

"Crews initially used two hose reels and two breathing apparatus. On arrival of further crews two jets set into hydrants were used on the fire.

"Electrics to the caravans were isolated and a 50 cordon initially put in place due to gas cylinders involved. A nearby pub was evacuated and other residents were asked to remain in their properties. At 04:27 the fire was confirmed extinguished."