Rankin Inlet, Nunavut man faces firearms charges after community emergency alert

The hamlet of Rankin Inlet. (Kate Kyle/CBC - image credit)
The hamlet of Rankin Inlet. (Kate Kyle/CBC - image credit)

RCMP say a 46-year-old man has been arrested in connection with an incident in Rankin Inlet, Nunavut last week.

He's been charged with careless use of a firearm and possession of a firearm while prohibited, according to an email from the force.

Police also said they're evaluating the way they issue emergency alerts after last week's incident. 

RCMP spokesperson Cpl. George Henrie said in an email that officers were called to a firearms complaint near Char River Bridge and Mine Road on Thursday last week at around 11 a.m.

"The emergency alert was issued because police were responding to a firearms complaint," Henrie said. "Upon further investigation, RCMP feared the public could be in danger and sent the alert."

Henrie also said officers from Iqaluit were on their way to the community, but the incident was resolved before they got there.

Around 1:30 p.m. local time, an emergency alert to stay away from the area was broadcast on radio and mobile devices.

The alert ended later in the day after the man was arrested and charged

The emergency alert was only in English, and Nunavut RCMP said they'll do their best to also broadcast in Inuktitut in the future.