Residents evacuated from flats above clothes shop amid fire and gas leak in Leicester

The fire outside Tu Estilo
The fire began in the early hours of this morning -Credit:Leicester Media Online

Residents living above a clothes shop in Leicester were evacuated in the early hours of this morning (Wednesday May 8) amid a fire and a subsequent gas leak. The blaze at Tu Estilo, in Hinckley Road, Westcotes, was reported to Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service just after 2am.

The fire began in a wheelie bin and then spread to the shop, the fire service said. The fire caused a gas leak which led to Cadent being called to the scene, it added.

Pictures show the charred exterior of the clothes shop. The fire service said that “moderate damage” was done to Tu Estilo.

READ MORE: Palestine supporters smash through drone factory fences and tear open roof

Leicestershire Police has put a cordon up around the building to preserve the scene.

We are now bringing you the latest updates on WhatsApp first